ICT and digital solutions for transport and logistics
- Digital technologies and ICT tools make transport in all modes (i.e. by road, rail, air, inland waterways or sea) more interoperable, smarter and can provide more predictability to increase efficiency and decrease costs.
- There is great potential for the digitalisation of transport and logistics and for applying innovative digital solutions. Data and data sharing offer great opportunities to make mobility smarter.
- European transport and logistics networks need to be further developed and integrated using digital technologies and ICT tools for the benefit of operators, users and customers. This will make Europe’s transport networks more efficient and competitive also vis-à-vis the rest of the world.
What does BusinessEurope aim for?
- Removing remaining barriers to the further digital transformation of transport and logistics in all modes of transport, such as the lack of interoperability of national systems, a lack of investment, the lack of critical mass to support big transformations and the underuse of data.
- More interoperable national systems, in terms of multimodality, data sharing but also for the acceptance of e-transport documents from another country. The implementation of digital technologies and ICT applications will reduce costs and increase efficiency, also contributing to a better environment.
- Smart policies to trigger private investment in new technologies and adequate public funding to support the digital transformation in transport and logistics.
Key facts and figures
- Each year in Europe around 33 million paper sheets are needed for 16.5 million transport and logistics vehicles.
- Innovative ICT and digital solutions are fundamental for enhancing safety in public transport networks.
- Intelligent transport systems can contribute to the decrease of CO2 emissions.