Corporate and legal - Facts and figures
- IP-intensive industries generate around 45% of EU GDP and directly employ 63 million people.
- 96% of Europeans agree that protecting IP is important.
- Companies applying for IP right protection employ more people than companies without IP right. Firms registering IP rights have around 28% higher revenue per employee and pay on average 20% higher wages than firms that do not register such rights.
- In 2016, imports of counterfeit and pirated products into the EU amounted to EUR 121 billion, which represents up to 6.8% of EU imports, against 5% of EU imports in 2013
- Out of 21 million SMEs in Europe, 5.2 million are single-member/one-shareholder companies. (Source: EUR-lex)
- The costs of setting-up a subsidiary can vary in 20,000 EUR if processed ‘abroad’ or at ‘home’. (Source: EUR-lex)
- Out of 28 member states, only 16 allow the set-up of a company to be carried out online. (Source: European Parliament)
- Consumer expenditure represents 56% of EU’s GDP. (Source: europa.eu)
- The potential of the EU single market for consumers is estimated to generate benefits of 58 billion euros per annum. (Source: European Parliament)
- Only 11% of Europeans shop online in another member state whilst 40% do it in their own member state. (Source: European Commission)