Corporate and legal - Facts and figures
- IP-intensive industries generate around 39% of EU GDP and directly employ 56 million people.
- Around 2.5 million jobs worldwide are at risk every year as a result of counterfeiting and piracy.
- 96% of Europeans agree that protecting IP is important.
- Out of 21 million SMEs in Europe, 5.2 million are single-member/one-shareholder companies. (Source: EUR-lex)
- The costs of setting-up a subsidiary can vary in 20,000 EUR if processed ‘abroad’ or at ‘home’. (Source: EUR-lex)
- Out of 28 member states, only 16 allow the set-up of a company to be carried out online. (Source: European Parliament)
- Consumer expenditure represents 56% of EU’s GDP. (Source: europa.eu)
- The potential of the EU single market for consumers is estimated to generate benefits of 58 billion euros per annum. (Source: European Parliament)
- Only 11% of Europeans shop online in another member state whilst 40% do it in their own member state. (Source: European Commission)