The EU Design Reform - BusinessEurope comments
- BUSINESSEUROPE welcomes the European Commission Proposals which are intended to further harmonise the legislation on design protection in the European Union.
- Designs traditionally are the least used type of intellectual property rights, however they play an important role for businesses and the EU economy as a whole. The reform could contribute to increasing awareness about design protection and help increase the usage of protected designs.
- Efficiency and suitability for the digital transformation should be the way forward, alongside with the efforts to increase accessibility of the design protection system, especially for smaller businesses.
- We welcome the wider definition of “product” and the extension of the scope of design rights, which are intended to align with the digital transformation.
- New enforcement provisions and alignment with the EU trademark framework will grant precious new tools to right holders to fight counterfeiting, increasingly relying on new technologies (e.g. on 3D printing).