European business message for COP28 - All G20 countries should commit to 2030 targets
29 November 2023 - COP28, starting on 30 November in Dubai, is an important moment for international climate negotiations. BusinessEurope Director General Markus J. Beyrer said: "European business stands firmly behind the Paris Agreement. However, with the EU counting for 7% of current global CO2 emissions and only 4-5% by 2030, it is critical that all G20 countries agree to similarly ambitious 2030 targets. They must also commit to implementing concrete, transparent and reliable transformation measures. Businesses are indispensable partners and solution providers for making this deep transformation happen successfully. No industry or sector that is adapting to a net-zero ambition should be excluded from active engagement."
BusinessEurope has just published 6 priority actions for COP28:
- Increasing global ambition and action towards climate neutrality
- Scaling up international climate finance
- Strengthening climate adaptation efforts
- Operationalising global carbon market mechanisms
- Securing engagement with all industries and sectors
- Closing carbon cycles
To read the full paper, please click here.