EU and US business: work together on tariffs, data, tax, aircraft, China
Call on Biden, Harris, EU to support common transatlantic approach
Today, BusinessEurope and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce jointly called on the EU and the U.S. to redouble their efforts to rejuvenate the transatlantic relationship, initiate a new strategic partnership, and address our most significant ongoing trade disputes.
"As a new U.S. administration takes office under the leadership of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, the time is right to ensure a common transatlantic approach to solving these major challenges", both business associations wrote in a joint statement today, noting that they look forward to close onward cooperation with EU and U.S. policymakers throughout the coming years to advance our shared agenda.
BusinessEurope and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce jointly called on
- the Biden administration to move swiftly to remove the Section 232 tariffs on imports of steel and aluminium from Europe, and the EU to remove its countermeasures
- finding a mutually agreeable settlement to the WTO disputes relating to the large civil aircraft sector, including the ending of retaliatory tariffs
- the U.S. and the EU to urgently finalise a revised data transfer agreement and recommit to finding a multilateral solution to the challenges posed by the digitisation of the global economy in the tax negotiations advancing under the aegis of the OECD
- support for the establishment of a unique EU-U.S. dialogue to encourage cooperation to respond to the pandemic, address market access issues, promote equitable solutions to international tax challenges, develop a common approach to protecting critical technologies, enable innovation, and advance our shared sustainability goals - to name only a few important examples.
- addressing significant challenges to our market economies posed by China, and working together on issues including subsidies, investment screening, and export controls
The full statement “Transatlantic Business Community Pledges Cooperation to Advance Shared Goals” can be read here.