This BusinessEurope high-level conference on the future of the Better Regulation agenda will bring together experts interested in improving the underlying principles and procedures of policy- and law-making, and consider specifically the importance of better regulation for the business community. Speakers will address the European experience with better regulation, also in a global context, while panels will discuss specific issues related to the quality and transparency of decision-making in the EU and debate how best to achieve regulatory simplification.
Tuesday, 4 December 2018 (13.00-17.30, followed by a networking reception)
Venue: Representation of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia to the EU | Rue Montoyer 47, 1000 Brussels
Deadline for registration: 30 November 2018
Please note that upfront registration is mandatory in order to be granted access to this conference.
BusinessEurope’s response to the European Commission’s consultation on stocktaking of its better regulation approach including recent strategy papers can be accessed here.
|12.15 - 13.00
||Registration and networking lunch
|13.00 - 13.30
Welcome and introduction
- Markus J. Beyrer, Director General, BusinessEurope
- Frans Timmermans, First Vice-President, European Commission
|13.30 - 14.00
||Keynote address by Marcos Bonturi, Director for Public Governance, OECD
|14.00 - 15.15
Panel discussion - Quality and transparency of EU decision-making
This panel will discuss evaluations and fitness checks, stakeholder consultations, impact assessments, and transparency of trilogues. The discussion will be moderated by Christoph Bausch of BDI.
- Martynas Barysas, BusinessEurope
- Wolfgang Hiller, European Parliament Research Service
- Nils Bjoerksten, Regulatory Scrutiny Board
- Liesbeth Timmermans, CEFIC
|15.15 - 15.45
|15.45 - 17.00
Panel discussion - Regulatory simplification
This panel will discuss the REFIT platform, the European Commission’s "lighten the load" programme and national perspectives. The discussion will be moderated by François Baur of Economiesuisse.
- Jens Hedström, BusinessEurope
- Paul Mollerup, Danish EU Implementation Council
- Fenna Pols, Europa Decentraal
- Elena Santiago Cid, Director General, CEN/CENELEC
|17.00 - 17.30
- Pia Ahrenkilde-Hansen, Deputy Secretary-General in charge of Better Regulation, European Commission
- Luminiţa Odobescu, Permanent Representative of Romania to the European Union
|17.30 - 18.30
Please note that we may take pictures and/or make video and audio recordings at this event, in which you may be featured. By registering to the event, you give the organisers the right to use such material for non-commercial purposes, including the posting of photos and/or videos on our website(s). An attendance list with your name and the organisation you represent will be prepared and distributed on the day of the event.